For those people who are looking for an inexpensive and time-saving method to work their abdominals and get some killer abs in the process, the Swiss Ball Rollout is regarded as one of the best ab exercises around. The Swiss Ball Rollout became popular after measured muscle activity during several popular ab exercises and found that this particular exercise activated more muscle in the rectus abdomens (the six-pack muscle) and obliques than sit-ups and crunches.The reason the Swiss Ball is so effective is that you are using muscles to maintain your balance while getting the benefit of the actual motion at the same time. Thus, your muscles are more challenged when a Swiss Ball is used rather than with the aforementioned sit-ups and crunches. The Swiss Ball is also known by a variety of different names, including balance ball, birth ball, body ball, exercise ball, fitness ball, gym ball, physio ball, pilates ball, Pezzi ball, sports ball, Swedish ball, therapy ball, or yoga ball.
Performing The Swiss Ball Rollout
• Do a quick warm-up; it is always advisable to warm-up before doing any exercise in order to prevent injuries such as muscle pulls or tears.
• After warming up, kneel in front of the Swiss Ball and place your forearms and fists upon the ball without putting too much pressure on the ball.
• Make sure that there is no pressure on the back as well; actually, the back should be naturally arched and any sign of back pain means that the position is incorrect.
• Without changing the position of the arms and knees, push the ball forward slowly, until the arms are fully extended. Make sure that there is no back pain and the only pressure is upon the abdominal muscles.
• Again, using only the abdominal muscles, make a reverse movement until the body reaches its starting position. Always remember to breathe during the exercise.
Executing the exercise in three sets of six to ten reps should be enough. The Swiss Ball Rollout is one of the best ab exercises and performing it correctly should produce excellent results.